Sunday, April 25, 2010

This isn't exciting

I was just thinking about what Emily is up to right now, and I thought, I should blog about it. I'm lying in bed messing around on the internet, so why not? First of all, let me just say that I love that girl dearly. She is incredibly smart and cute and really funny too. However, there are times, like today, when that little two year old can really make me want to lock her in a closet. Last weekend, John set up her "big girl bed" because Emily decided that she was going to start using the potty. Now, let me first say what an amazingly easy experience that has been. I'm not saying we haven't gone without accident. In fact, she peed all over my friend's carpet the other day. But, I never did anything to potty train her. In fact, I was thinking it might be better if I waited until after the baby was born to attempt it so I wouldn't have to deal with public restrooms with a new baby. But, at 2 1/2, she decided it was time and she really has been doing great. Of course, this was right after I had just bought a brand new pack of diapers, but I'm not complaining. So, we put up the new bed and at first, she refused to sleep in it even though it has princess bedding and we showed her how she can easily get out of it to use the bathroom if she needs to. Well, as of 2 nights ago, I think she has officially decided that the "big girl bed" is the way to go. And she finally figured out how to climb out of her crib, so I no longer have a containment device. This makes naptime particularly fun. Today, we put her down and tried to take a nap ourselves. John and I are in bed and a few minutes later, I hear little feet running to our room and she jumps on our bed. I do not do well with lack of sleep, so John put her back in her room. That lasted about 2 minutes and she was back. Finally, after some serious threats, she decided she better stay in her bed and she actually slept for about 2 hours. Then, when she woke up, she was in the most foul mood! She cried about everything! And we aren't talking about just crying, we are talking about full fledged screaming fits about dinner, about a stuffed animal, about an m&m that fell on the floor. Holy cow!! Luckily, I figured out that the real reason why she was so cranky was because she needed to pee, but she refused to go. After John took her into the bathroom and made her go, she was a whole new girl. What a weirdee!

And now for Matthew. He has made A/B honor roll for the last 2 nine weeks. He's so excited about the next silver medal he will receive tomorrow at the awards ceremony. He is obsessed with video games, namely Super Smash Bros Brawl. He still refuses to learn how to ride a bike. He loves to read. He's a drama queen. We just got him a new bed as well, which I picked up at a garage sale for $20. I need to post a picture of it so you can see what a find it was. We spent an entire day cleaning out his room and getting rid of toys he no longer plays with. Overall, he's doing really well.

Me. I'm pregnant. Need I say more? I'm going crazy with all of the things I want to get done before this baby is born. I guess I should say I'm driving John crazy. But, there is so much that I want to get done and I can't do it by myself! This house is getting so small and I'm going a little crazy trying to get rid of things and organize. It seems an impossible task. I have nine weeks left. My feet are starting to swell, my back hurts, etc etc etc. It will be fine and at this point, I'm finding comfort in the fact that I've felt pretty great up to this point. I'm excited to meet this little guy and hopefully, it won't be so hard to find a name for him once we see him. Even though I swore I'd never make another quilt, I decided to try my hand at it again for the baby. If it turns out ok, I'll post a picture of it.

Well, I guess that's it for now. I'm hungry.

2 comments:

Happy said...

What are you talking about, not exciting! I love to hear about what you guys are up to! And you are such a good writer that you could write about anything and make it fun to read! That was funny about Emily and the nap. Man, naps without a crib- how is that possible? Miss you!
Oh, Teya was just asking if you guys could come to visit us again. I said yes, you should!

Catherine said...

Joleen has been using the potty for 2 months now. It is nice to not have them in diapers. Congrats on having her fully potty trained. If we can make it up I am sure Emily and Joleen will have lots of fun together.