Monday, May 10, 2010

A little too much excitement for one day

Today was just one of those crazy days. It all started when I decided to stop by Wendy's for lunch with Emily on our way to Publix. After eating, I put Emily in her car seat like normal, threw my purse into the front seat and walked around to the driver's side only to discover that all the doors were locked. I don't know how it happened. Maybe the button accidentally got pushed when I threw the keys over the seat, I don't know. Because my purse was in the front seat, I didn't have my phone, so I had to borrow some guy's phone who happened to be in the parking lot to call John. John was in Gainesville, so there was no way he could come unlock the door. So, I called 911 and told them my situation. I'm thinking they are going to send a cop with a slim jim to open the door, but a few minutes later I hear a fire truck wailing down the street and I think, oh please let that be for someone else. But, sure enough, it was for me. Now, let me just say that I am so thankful for the fire department. I think they are wonderful. They are always there within minutes, they are always nice and professional and I have the utmost respect for them. But, where were the police? Aren't they the ones with the slim jims? The fire department basically had a coat hanger that they were trying to open the door with. Of course, it didn't work. Anyway, the fire department had called pop-a-lock, but when pop-a-lock wasn't there after 20 minutes, they said they were going to have to break the window. Thank goodness Emily wasn't upset, but she was definitely sweating and her little face was red. I was parked in partial shade, and luckily it wasn't in the 90s today, but it was definitely warm and we didn't want to take any chances. Of course, pop-a-lock pulled up 5 minutes after the window had been broken. Coincidentally, there was a glass guy in the parking lot who stopped the fire department from breaking the smallest window. They assumed that would be the cheapest one to replace, but he said the cheapest would be the driver's side. So, they broke that one and I paid $180 to get it replaced. What fun.

After we got Emily out, I went to thank the fire fighters and they gave Emily a hat and a little teddy bear. She was in heaven and made me call her Firefighter Emily. I'm so glad she is ok. I keep thinking about that teacher I heard about on the news a while back who accidentally left her toddler in her car all day and the toddler ended up dying. It wasn't even 30 minutes that Emily was in the car and she was already sweating and red in the face and it wasn't even as hot as it could get. It makes me so sad to think how scared and upset that little one must have been before she died.

So, after all that, we went inside and got frostys. We never made it to Publix. When we got home, it was time to get ready for swim lessons but Emily kept saying she was tired and didn't feel well. She NEVER says she wants to take a nap, so I took her seriously and canceled swim lessons. I think we had just about as much excitement as we could handle for one day.

2 comments:

KJA said...

I had a similar experience while we were vacationing in Oregon during a freak ice storm. 2 feet of snow, locked the keys in the rental, but the rental company didn't have a spare, fire department couldn't get it open and all the road service people were occupied with accidents. It was crazy. Two hours later we finally get her out. By then we had dug out the rental car which my hubby had high centered on some snow. Fun times!@

Lexi said...

Sarah! That is so scary and stressful! I'm glad that you were able to get her out safe. That's terrible about the window but I know they were just thinking about Emily. I think I'd want a nap after all of that too!