Sunday, June 8, 2008

Dear Matthew

I put you on a plane to Utah for the first time as an unaccompanied minor yesterday. I had to hurry and leave the area before I lost it and you just happily got on the plane with no reservations. When I asked you if you were scared, you said, "No Mom! I was never scared!" While this is always your favorite time of the year, it is always my least favorite. I feel like someone just ripped a piece of my heart out of my chest and flew it across the country. While I worry about all the possible things that could happen to you, all you can think about is seeing your dad and all the new toys you will get.

You are growing up way too fast. You just graduated from kindergarten. You can read now. Really well, I might add. You can write stories and journal entries and they are pretty funny. You just got interested in drawing pictures and they are really cute. You are really good at math. You can even tell time on a clock. It's so fun as your mom to see you learn and grow, but at the same time, I wonder where the time is going. Am I really getting that old too?

Be safe, goob. Have fun and know that we love you and miss you and can't wait until you get back.

Love,

Mom

3 comments:

Kara and Theo said...

I want to cry for you right now. What a big boy that he can fly by himself on the plane! I know that must have been really hard! How long is he gone for? I hope the time doesn't slow down for you while he's gone.

Jessica said...

Sarah, you are so strong to let Matthew fly off on his own. I am sure he had a blast being a "big boy"...and I sure hope that Brennan learns and grows as much as Matthew did during kindergarten next year...and yep, we're getting OLD!!!!

Jason and Charlotte said...

This just makes me sad!!! You are a brave mama and I admire that! Guess it's a good thing you got called as the Primary Pres. it will keep you busy! Congrats I know you will be awesome, call me if you need anything!