Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Becky Withdrawals

My friend Becky has been here since Saturday. I love Becky because we can do pretty much nothing and still have a good time. I don't know if that means I'm lazy. I'm pretty sure it does. Yesterday, we watched the entire 6 hour A&E version of Pride and Prejudice. We also watched the version that came out last year with Keira Knightly and it's pretty good for a quick fix of Mr. Darcy. However, I don't think anyone can argue that Colin Firth is the best Mr. Darcy out there. He's the standard by which all other versions of Mr. Darcy are measured. He is Mr. Darcy. Even when I see him in other movies, I still see him as Mr. Darcy no matter what part he is playing. So, of course after watching the other version and critiquing it for not being exactly like the Colin Firth version, I felt I couldn't be content unless I watched the Colin Firth version as well. It's been a while and it's so great to have Becky to watch it with. It's just like old times. Of course, then we also had to watch Bride and Prejudice, which is the bollywood version of the story. It's pretty entertaining if you've never seen it. It was directed by the same person who directed Bend It Like Beckham. Ok, now I feel like a total nerd. Kind of like when John starts spouting off useless facts about superheros that any normal person wouldn't and shouldn't really know unless they've spend countless hours reading and researching background information on their favorite comic books. I really should get out more.

8 comments:

Jason Randall said...

You are soooooo a Marmot girl. :)

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the BBC Pride and Prejudice--it was my favorite for years, and I loved Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy, no one could compare. Then last year I discovered another great film done by the BBC called North and South, with Richard Armitage as Mr. John Thornton--well let's just say I have a new favorite leading man. You'll have to check it out. It is only 4 hours long.

Brown Family said...

Oh you are cracking me up. I hate to admit it on this post but I have never seen Pride and Prejudice. Everyone raves about Mr. Darcy, but I have know I idea what they are talking about. Maybe I should pull an all nighter and watch it.

Jessica said...

Yeah, you and I must never have been very good friends, because although you talked of the BBC P&P, we never watched it...hm.
As for Bride and Pred...well, let's just say we rented it and only watched about twenty minutes of it...if Bart hadn't been home, I could have finished it.
Oh, and what about P&P the mormon one??? I actually own that one. I don't know how, but I do.
That is so much fun that Becky came to visit, by the way.

Lexi said...

Wow that's a lot of Pride and Prejudice! I love classic movies too. I don't think I've seen the Colin Firth version though. Guess I'll have to see what I am missing!

Stacy Hutchinson said...

I just found your blog and I started crying when I saw Matthew. I can't believe how grown up he is! Your little girl is so cute. I love her little newborn grunts and squeeks. I know I'm horrible at keeping in touch, but now I can spy on you! I miss you, Sarah.

JP said...

Sarah, did you know that there's a role-playing game (think Dungeons & Dragons) where you can play a super-hero. You can spend HOURS upon HOURS (ask Catherine) writing background stories and coming up with new supers in this game. It's called Mutants & Masterminds. Maybe I should e-mail a link to John. ;) JP

Meredith said...

I LOVE PRIDE & PREJUDICE!!!! And Colin Firth is definitely Mr. Darcy! I can't believe I never knew you liked this! I wouldn't have had to watch it so many times by myself!!!! That is going to be the first question I ask people when I meet them... "Do you like the BBC version of Pride & Prejudice?" and "Will you be my friend?"