Sunday, May 3, 2009

Two posts for the price of one!

Happy asked me to post some pictures of some of the clothes I've been making for Emily, so here they are. I've sort of become obsessed with sewing lately and I keep finding new ideas for outfits or dresses that I want to make. I have to stop. I'm on a first name basis with the lady at Paula's Fine Fabrics and that's just scary. I have 2 more dresses that I want to make that I already have the fabric for and one more and then I'm done for a while. I am spending way too much on clothes for Emily, especially when I get most of her clothes from garage sales. Making them yourself is definitely not cheaper! But, on the brightside, I am becoming more confident with my sewing skills and it has been really fun to be creative. This little shirt, I made without a pattern. I saw one like it on etsy and I thought I'd give it a try. I think it came out really cute.





This was her Easter dress and my first attempt at bias binding. I also made the bloomers without a pattern. I am pretty proud of myself about that!
In other news, we finally got rid of the tree in the front yard. It was a sycamore and the bane of our existence. When we first bought the house, I loved the tree because it was so pretty in the front yard and I could just see a little swing on it. But, now that we've been here for almost 4 years, I am sick of raking up 20 plus large black garbage bags of leaves every fall. And that's just in my yard. They also fill the yards of 6 or 7 neighbors on either side of us. I am sick of not having grass because of the roots in the yard. I am sick of having sap on my car that I have to scrub to death to get off. My neighbor even told me that his dog has allergies from the tree. So, after three years of complaining that I wanted it down and finally mentioning it to my handy dandy neighbor, he and his friend who used to be a logger in Alaska came over yesterday morning and chopped it down. I need to add that poor Matthew was not happy about this decision. It seems he has become quite attached to the tree and even told me he was going to get some tree tape and tape it back together. I told him that he could help me pick out a new tree that wouldn't hurt our house or drive way and that would be a better fit for our little yard, but I don't think he's convinced yet. I should have taken some before pictures, but I didn't. Just picture a 70 ft tree in our tiny yard and check out all the leaves. And this is spring, so they've just started to grow back and a few branches had already been cut off last week. Now, all I need is someone to get rid of the stump and I might actually be able to get some sod in our front yard. Oh how nice it would be to not have the most white trash yard in the neighborhood (ok, there are some that are worse, but not by much!!)

4 comments:

Happy said...

Are you kidding me?????? The dress and the shirt are AWESOME!!!! I don't know why in the world you always act like you can't really sew. Give me a break! You're a closet seamstress!! Wow, very impressive, seriously. I LOVE the material in the first dress. I SO wish Teya was smaller than Emily b/c I'd beg you to give it to us when she outgrows it. Good job!!
And the yard looks so different now! Exciting!

Lexi said...

Ummm, yes. I'd like to order one of each of those. When can you send those on to me? :-0

You did a great job on those outfits. Love the fabric! And it also doesn't hurt that you have an adorable model to show off that handiwork.

I can't believe that tree! It must have just loomed over your house. What a relief to have a blank slate- and no more sap on your car and less leaves to bag!

Have fun with landscaping your new-ish yard! :-)

Stacy Hutchinson said...

I have been infected with the crafty bug, now that we're having a girl. I LOVE that first dress and the shirt with the bloomers. I remember when you made a quilt for Matthew (I think Jess Story helped) and it turned out so cute. I agree with "Happy", you should give yourself more credit.
Our neighbor had a GIGANTIC sycamore that had to be cut down because the roots were interfering with the drains underground. Lucky for him, the city did all of the work AND even grinded the stump. I have to admit that I enjoy not having to rake up the leaves, but that tree was so beautiful. I miss it. It was kind of fun watching how they cut that thing down without hurting anything around it. ALSO, I noticed that my neighbor's plants, especially his rose bush, are all growing so much stronger now. Have fun gardening!!

Brown Family said...

Holy Cow! You are so talented with sewing! I love the fabrics you used. Very nice!!
Sorry, Matthew about your tree.
I want to get rid of our huge tree in the front as well.