Sunday, January 13, 2008

"I'll bet you swear...Cuz you're a MAN!"

I was told this today, by one of the girls in primary. (not in my class)I sense a Man hater in the making.

It's Ever so much fun teaching in Primary!

Our new CTR 5 class is a lot less rambunctious than our class last year, and for the most part they even listen to what we're saying! It's funny though, Last year the kids were at times a bit wild, and crazy, but now that they're no longer in our class they always wave and say "Hi Brother Poor" and look genuinely happy to see me, which makes me laugh because I'm pretty certain last year at one point or another I threatened each child with death, and yet...they don't fear me.

So as Sarah said we were asked to speak today. It was the first time in four years for me, and I forgot how much fun it can be to give talks. The Bishop called us yesterday to really flesh out the topic. He decided that he wanted some personal experiences of ours with gospel principles and how we are able to find/have Joy in the Gospel. After a whirl bang day, we were both up way too late last night preparing, Sarah decided she wanted to write hers out, and me being the shoot from the hip kinda guy that I am didn't.

I've never been good at writing out talks. I like drafting an outline and going from there, which is what I did...the only problem was my outline was very slim, and I wasn't sure I was going to be able to fill the allotted time.

Luckily we both used all our time, and I think we did a good job. Which of course is both bad and good...because I'm guessing we won't be able to hide for another four years. The nicest compliment I received about the talks was from a newish member who said (paraphrasing):

"This is the first time that the talks really seemed to go together."

Which is a good thing, since I think Sarah and I go together pretty well!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

You and Sarah are just like peas and carrots. : ) Glad your talks went well!!
~Carrie

Meredith said...

How cute!!! Nice comment in Primary! lol! Are you guys still in the Beaches ward?

John-E-Boi said...

yep. We are still in Beaches

Meredith said...

I'm jealous that they finally got you guys teaching Primary. We tried for a LONG time to get you guys! :)