Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I felt a rumbly in my tumbly

Last night I got the Call from K-Y, she started the call by saying "Guess Where I Am?" I already knew, the same way a Mother knows when their child is in danger, the same way salmon a instinctively returns to its place of birth... She was at the newly openedSuddenly, I was gripped by the yearning, gnawing hunger that nothing else can satisfy...I needed

All day long the hunger remained, slowly my insides were chewing on themselves. At one point in the day I asked Sarah about going, but we decided that we should just stick to the menu on out menu board, because we'd be able to go later in the week, however as we tried to pin down exactly when "later" would be we were unable to do so.

On the Drive home I could no longer silence the desire, so I called Sarah, only to receive her voicemail, I left a desperate message for her not to start dinner...because we had OTHER plans...after a few minutes and no response from her I became desperate to contact her, because once dinner was started there would be NO turning back. I grabbed my phone and dialed again, thinking the worst when like music to my ears I heard "What do you want you ignoramus?!" which is of course my lovely wife's way of saying "Hello Dear, I've missed the sound of your voice."
With my voice cracking I gasped out "Have you started dinner?" Suddenly there was an uncomfortable silence...a silence that would imply...the worst. The knots in my stomach were twisting with every passing nanosecond when in response I heard these delicious words "Not yet" Oh the Joy the filled my soul at that moment, there have been tales written of express joy, joy that cannot be put into words, never before have I experienced that Joy, but tonight I did.

I said "Honey, put on your going out clothes, Dinner's on me tonight! and what the HECK, Let's bring the Kids!"Once I got home we gathered up the little urchins and made our way over to Mandarin where the Chipotle had finally opened. We walked inside to the familiar smell of home, and cilantro lime rice. Of course the line was too long, the workers inept, the salsa sparingly added, but we FINALLY have a Chipotle here in Jax...it's been 6 years since I've had one within the city where I lived, and that's just too long to go without this delectable delicacy.

The nice thing about tonight was as we were standing in line I saw a couple we knew a little ahead of us, and then I felt a tap on the shoulder, and there stood the Richards (she's also from Colorado) so we all sat together and ate, unfortunately we had to boogie early, as we've got a concert to head to, which is where I am now going, Goodnight, and enjoy more pics of us stuffing our faces with excellent food!

9 comments:

Jessica said...

I feel the same way about Moe's. I found out there was one still open in the Omaha area (a mere 20 miles or so away from home) on a Friday night...by Tuesday or so I HAD TO HAVE SOME. We drove in rush hour traffic (not as bad as say, Baton Rouge's) in the POURING rain to get some.
It.Was.Delicious. and worth the drive, the cranky kids, and the long trip home with the happiest bellies around.
I, unfortunately, forgot my camera to document the extremely monumentous occasion.
So, enjoy Chipotle...they are all over here and I just wish they were MOE'S.

Rebecca said...

Moes SCHMOES!!!

We had a great time tonight! Glad we ran into you guys ♥

Erika said...

I LOVE the ones of Em getting in on the action. Good stuff.

Jenna said...

We have never tried. Definitely have to give it a try when we're in JAX at Thanksgiving!

Erica said...

Where in the heck do you guys live? We have a Qudoba about 5 mintues from us, which I like better. Although there is a Chipotle about 15 minutes from us too. :)

Kathy said...

We live in Fort Worth so those things are all over and I have still never tried it. Guess I should now!

John-E-Boi said...

Ugh!

Sorry Jessica, but Moe's is the WORST knockoff EVER! I've hated them since moving here. It would be like saying Zaxbys is better than Raisin' Cains.

Erica, Quadoba in Colorado wasn't bad, here, for some reason there was so much "Lime" in their rice it tasted like ammonia. Strangely all of their stores (which opened less than 3 years ago here) are all closed.

Erika, Em's a pudge and will only currently eat what Mom is eating. that said, her shoveling down the rice was dang funny.

Jenna, You TOTALLY should!

Rebecca, It was Great seeing you again, and thanks for hanging with us! sometimes we feel like losers as we don't hang out with people.

Kathy, I don't know you. Welcome, and YES always EAT at CHIPOTLE!!!

Daisy Paige said...

As President, I promise to mandate a Chipotle be built in every city you will ever visit for the remainder of your days on earth. (Yes, that includes international cities.)

Stephanie said...

hey john and sarah! Thought I'd add y'all to my blog roll if that's alright with you guys! I surprisingly have never been to chipotle...but I HAVE to go....will do soon and then I'll brag to you guys all about it the sunday after I do. :-)