Saturday, October 4, 2008

White trash

Some of you may not realize how trashy I am. Others of you who know me better, know exactly how trashy I am. I do try to act as snobby as possible so that people who do not know me very well will not pick up on my inbred background, but every few Saturdays it comes out in full force when I see a sign that says "Community Garage Sale". My momma would be so proud. She is actually the one that started the obsession. We would often get up at the butt crack of dawn with newspaper in hand in search of other peoples' leftovers. That went on until I became a teenager and realized how uncool it was to wear clothes that came from garage sales. Then one day, I had kids and realized that those kids needed to be clothed and toyed. Clothing and toys are expensive. Not only that, but my kids usually wear their clothes for about a month before they out grow them or rip a hole in a knee. Most of their toys end up in a small corner under Matthew's bed after about a day of being "my favorite toy in the WHOLE WORLD!!" So, with that new found understanding, I decided it was time to swallow my pride and embrace my white trash roots. Enter Happy. She also understands my obsession. And thus began a new tradition on Saturday mornings. This morning happened to be the jackpot of all garage sale Saturdays. Last week, I noticed a sign for a community garage sale in a nice neighborhood down the road from my street. I thought, this is great! We've been having a bit of a dry spell.

Then, I saw another sign for a community garage sale. Then, another. Then, I saw a sign that made my heart skip a beat. A community garage sale in a neighborhood where last spring Happy and I were able to rack up on some pretty nice stuff for dirt cheap. As I tried really hard not to hyperventilate, I called Happy to tell her the good news. By Friday night, we realized that there were 6 community garage sales happening today within a 2 mile radius of both of our houses. Keep in mind, all of these neighborhoods are really nice and they usually have garage sales twice a year, so most of the stuff is in pretty good condition and they sell it for next to nothing.

We were a little bummed because we knew there was no way we would be able to make it to all 6 communities, so we picked the 2 best ones and like two kids in a candy shop, we went to town. I priced some of the stuff I bought on Amazon and I had to include a few of my finds because I am so excited about them.


I got this for $10. With the extra book I got, it would retail for about $45.00.

I could not pass up this lady bug tent. How cute is it?? I found one on Amazon for $69.99. I paid $5.

I needed a new light fixture in my dining room. This one new costs $80. I got it for $15.


I do have to give a shout out to my dear hubby who puts up with my gallivanting and watches the kids for me. Without him, I wouldn't be able to get my fix every Saturday. And it wouldn't be nearly as fun without a partner in crime. Thank goodness Happy is as obsessed as I am!

6 comments:

Janelle Heath said...

Great Job Sarah! I love to hear other peoples deals and steals! When i have kids, I want to join the garage sale brigade!

Prairie said...

OH SARAH, I am REELING!!!! You are so funny and you write SOO well! My face is SORE from the enormous smile you have put upon it!!! I love you and I totally miss you!!!! It has been soo long already!!!!
I know I should have totally written you back on email already! I was so glad to hear from you!! I know you wanted to get a new house, but I am so happy that there is a chance that you might still be there when I come back!!! Then maybe you can still get a new house, but realize how good it is to still live in Jacksonville!
What a joy for you and Happy to get your fixes together! I myself was THRILLED when I found a REAL GOODWILL, twenty five minutes north of our house! I prepared myself for it to not be as good as the one we had at Jax Beach, BUT IT WAS!!!! GO FIGURE!!!! We had a major great time there, I totally understand your need to garage sale... It is so rewarding!! Great finds Girls! Keep posting! It's been awhile, no? I love you!!
Hugs!
PD

Lexi said...

You're brave. I'm the type of person that tries to avoid fairs and festivals because of the crowds. I recently went to a community garage sale because a friend wanted to go and it was a mad house! They had racks and racks of clothes and tables that stretched on forever and there was nothing but ladies rummaging and pushing to get to the next 'steal'. Good for you for bargain shopping- you saved a mint that's for sure! Maybe I will brave the garage sales again in the future especially when Peyton goes through toys like air and water. Right now he's content with whatever we give him- even a paper plate so I think we're good on the toy front for a while at least ;-)

Happy said...

Okay, that was the funniest post ever! You crack me up! I think I may copy and post it on my blog, if you don't mind. Gosh, that was such a good day. I washed and folded all of Teya's new clothes and had a fantastic time looking through them as I did so. Thank you for not moving away. Can you imagine how awful it would have been if you had moved away and missed out on Pablo Bay's community garage sale? Thank you again for not moving. And for being such a great garage sale buddy!!

Jessica said...

omaha has great garage sales, but i've always scratched my head at those who go to any east of let's say, 144 street...the farther west you go here, the better "quality" of the sale :-)
i wish i had a truck, b/c i really want to find a dresser.
great deals!

Anonymous said...

Heh Heh Heh, I KNEW I'd get you hooked sooner or later!!! (Almost) nothing beats the buzz of getting a great deal for pennies on the dollar,eh? So you got $195 worth of goodies for $30 bucks. Good job, sweetheart! I especially like your new dining room fixture. Very Classy!

Love, Mom