Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Why I cannot survive without my husband

I consider myself a pretty capable person. I have a college degree for crying out loud. I played single mom for almost 3 years. I feel like I'm pretty good at getting things done. So, why is it that John leaves on a business trip and suddenly I fall apart? Yesterday, I went to return something to Sam's, which required the services of our friend Ben because I don't have a Sam's card. Ben lives all the way on the other side of town and was kind enough to drive all the way to my side of town to help me out with this. So, after I had to get Ben to stop by John's work to pick up the receipt (I totally forgot that John still had it in his wallet, thank goodness he hadn't left yet), I meet Ben at Sam's and realize that I don't have my wallet. What the crap is wrong with me? Luckily, they were able to put it on a Sam's gift card which can be used at Wal-mart. Then, later that night, I get home and the a/c isn't working, so I have to call my friend Jared to come look at it. Thanks, Jared! I feel bad about calling him now because after he came over and spent time looking at it, I remembered that my neighbor across the street is an A/C man. He was able to come over and charge the system without charging me an arm and a leg for being after hours. Then, as I'm giving the kids a bath, Emily poops in the tub. I saw her starting for it, too and I couldn't get there fast enough. So, I had to drain the tub, clean it with Lysol and fill it back up and rebathe them. Me, being the optimist that I am thinks, alright, so you had a bad day. Wednesday will get better, right? Wrong! After dropping Matthew off at the bus this morning, I head back to my house only to realize that I had locked myself out. All of the spare keys are in my car and there are no unlocked windows. So, after knocking on 6 neighbors doors and either none of them being home, or possibly thinking I am a solicitor, I sit on my front door step and break down. How did this happen? Am I broken? I used to be able to handle life, I used to have a brain. Now, I can't even remember that I locked the bottom lock last night because John wasn't here and I thought that if someone tried to break in, that might help. Poor little Emily didn't even have any shoes on and I didn't have my cell phone. So, I say a little prayer (because I listen in primary) and ask Heavenly Father to help me. Then, I remember that my neighbor 5 houses down is always home, heck, they have 7 people living in that house. So, I walk down and tell them my plight and they are so nice and offer to come down and see if they can open a window or something. They even hand me a tissue, which I think is for me and blow my nose and then I realize that it may have been for my snotty nosed kid. When no windows will open and my neighbor's VIP card is all bent up, we decide to call Pop-a-lock since I have 3 house keys sitting there staring at me from the dash. The Pop-a-lock guys comes pretty quickly and 2 seconds later the lock is open and I'm inside my house writing a check for $51.95. I put Emily down for a nap and think that maybe I should just go back to bed, too.

So, I've decided three things:

1. I'm not ready for the world today.
2. I cannot survive without John.
3. I've got lots of cookies to bake.

8 comments:

Jenna said...

I hope you're cooking some of those cookies you're baking!!! Hope it gets better - :)

When Scott goes out of town, we eat out for dinner every single time. (We don't have a baby around now.)

Lexi said...

When it rains, it pours, doesn't it! I am sorry you are having a crummy time while John is gone. I can totally sympathize- the last time Troy left for "only 5 days", Peyton and I had to evacuate from a Hurricane by ourselves! I totally feel for you. I hope he comes home to be with you soon and that you don't have any more incidents!

P.S- Are you sure you have to go and bake a bunch of cookies? Just go to Walmart and pick up some. No one will be any the wiser. You deserve to relax {inside your house-not locked out!}.

Erika said...

I'm sorry you had such a crappy day. Just scream MULLIGAN and go back to bed!

Happy said...

I feel really badly now because I was talking to you on the phone and had to get off really quickly before you could tell me any of that and I never called you back! I feel like a really bad friend, I'm sorry! But I KNOW that my phone call informing you that I found a THIRD community garage sale sign made your day better.

Jessica said...

argh! if it makes you feel better...i wish i was there to eat cookies with you!
and thank goodness for primary, or we'd all be lost.

Jessica said...

oh, and poop in the tub is my worst enemy...bren never did it, but jack sure did MANY times. so i feel your grossed out pain.

Kara and Theo said...

I can totally identify. Once when Theo was gone all of us got a stomach virus. Kids were throwing up EVERYWHERE! I was up at 3 a.m. steam cleaning our carpet in between hurling myself. The next day I felt like I got hit by a truck. I just expect something to happen now whenever he leaves. He just left Wed. for 3 weeks down in TX, so be checking my blog to find out what the jinx is going to be.

KJA said...

Wow - have I ever had days like these. And I'm just like you - very capable. I think it helps keep us humble.

Kara - a friend of John's from back in the day.